nos·tal·gia/nɒˈstældʒə, -dʒiə, nə-/ Show Spelled[no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-]
1. A wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
2. Something that elicits or displays nostalgia.
3. A yearning for the return of past circumstances, events, etc
4. The evocation of this emotion, as in a book, film, etc
5. Longing for home or family; homesickness
6. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
|[C18: New Latin (translation of German Heimweh homesickness), from Greek nostos a return home + -algia ]|